Are you a guitar newbie and you are just wondering which are the best electric guitar strings for beginners? This and many more are some worries of every beginner and so you are not alone.
I’d like to assure you that am here to assist you all the way by giving you the information you need about how to change the strings and the factors to consider when changing guitar strings.
Did you know we have tools for changing guitar strings? I will talk about this later. I’ve gone an extra mile to choose the best strings for you.
Every electric guitarist who is concerned with the quality sound production must put the “which strings to use” into consideration. Why? Because the basis of every quality and good sound is based upon the quality of the strings. So every time you are planning to change the guitar strings, you must consider the quality.
Let’s get started by discussing about the factors to put into consideration when changing your electric guitar strings.
Factors To Consider When Buying Strings
1. Sound Production, Tone.
In an electric guitar, the sound is transmitted by a pressure wave through a substance or material. In most cases such pressure wave is formed when an object or material vibrates back and forth rapidly. This pushes air forward to make way for itself and this movement happens again. This repeats itself to form a pattern behind.
For a string to produce sound, it has to be exposed under a certain tension. When you put a string under more tension, it will vibrate more rapidly, creating more pressure waves that are shorter and close together, and hence have a higher frequency. This determines the tone of the sound produced.
After saying that, when you plan to buy the strings consider the ability to withstand the pressure in order to produce high frequency sound. Think about what kind of sound you are expecting.
Different strings made from different materials have different performance levels. If you care about sound, you must care about strings too.
2. The Lifespan, Durability.
There are factors that determine the lifespan of your strings and one of them is the quality. If you buy low quality strings, they will not go for long without getting rust or discoloring. How does the quality determine the lifespan? Of course there are some strings made from low quality and hence cheap to buy and vice-versa is true.
Strings lifespan is also determined by the way you take care of your guitar especially during play and after playing. During any session, avoid using sweaty and oily hands for this promotes rust and discoloring of the strings.
After playing, make sure to clean the strings with a soft cloth before storage. Also, you may prolong the lifespan by applying the cleaning/maintenance liquid.
3. How Often Do You Play, Consistency.
This is another important factor to consider. How long do you play your guitar? The many times you play the guitar determines the rate of tear and wear of the strings. Before you purchase your guitar strings, it’s good to determine if you will be playing the guitar occasionally.
Why do you need to know all this? To determine which strings to buy. In the market today, there are the availability of different strings for different performances. Different strings gauges also determine the length of service the strings will offer you.
Watch the video below
4. The Strings Materials, Why Different.
Strings are made of different flexible materials for different purposes. Let’s look at the different types of strings and what materials they are made of.
- Classical guitar strings are typically made of nylon.
- Most of the acoustic guitar strings are made of finished round would of either silver or bronze.
- Electric guitar strings are usually made of round nickel-plated steel, pure nickel and stainless steel.
- The Bass guitar strings are most commonly wound with stainless steel or nickel.
Before you purchase your strings, you must consider which guitar and what material you should go for. If you have a classical guitar, acoustic guitar for beginners, electric guitar or bass guitar, you now know which string materials to choose from.
5. Different String Gauges: Light, Medium, Heavy.
All strings are different from the other and that’s why they produce different sounds. Typically, there are different gauges for individual strings. The guitar gauges range from heavy to extra super light. Generally speaking, the light gauges are easier to play while the heavy ones are hard and require more finger pressure.
Look at the gauges below.
- “extra super light”: .008 .010 .015 .021 .030 .038
- “super light”: .009 .011 .016 .024 .032 .042
- “light”: .010 .013 .017 .026 .036 .046
- “medium”: .011 .015 .018 .026 .036 .050
- “heavy”: .012 .016 .020 .032 .042 .054
What do these numbers mean? The smaller the fraction, the lighter the strings. This means a pack of strings tagged 008-038 will be lighter gauge than one tagged 011-050. Every time you go to buy the strings, you must look at the gauge.
Changing The Strings: Can I Do It By Myself?
1. When Do You Change The Strings?
It’s a normal occurrence for guitar strings to wear out both from use and the passing of time. The plain rule for beginners is to change strings every 100 hours or 3 months—whichever comes first. But for the players, you can assess the situation and change strings whenever they wear out. How do you know the strings are worn out?
- When corrosion and rust appear on them
- After they change color
- After they lose the outer coating
- Loose winding on the strings
Once any of the above happens, the string no longer get to proper tune and hence can’t produce their original desired sound.
2. What Tools Can You Use?
When you are changing strings for your guitar, there are several tools you can use: –
- Guitar Strings changing tools: – This kit contains important tools makes work easier. You will find the following equipment: Rosette Tie Guards, Shredneck TremBlock Floating Tremolo String Changing Tool, Rosette Bridge Beads, String Beads for Ball End Conversion, Guitar Neck Cradles and Stands, String Cutters, Micrometers, and the ever popular Bridge Bib to protect your guitar during string changes.
- A Peg Winder: – This will simplify the work of changing your strings. There are different types that ranges from simple hand winders to handmade created from woods to winders that are attached to your drill. All of these come from different manufacturers.
- Maintenance Gels: – As you change strings, you may notice that the guitar requires cleaning and maintenance of some kind. What do use for that? Cleaners, conditioners, polishes, polishing clothes, waxes, and lubricants. All these help in maintaining your electric guitar.
3. How Do You Change The Strings?
There are several steps of changing the strings of your guitar. If you want to change the strings, follow these easy steps: –
- Remove the strings and bridge pins: – This part involves untying the strings lose, restringing, removing the bridge pins and removing the strings from the pin holes. You may also need to clean your guitar after restringing.
- Changing the Strings: – Have the strings ready, choose which string to begin with, Insert the string knob into the hole then put back the bridge pins, fasten the string to the pegs then turn the tuning peg gently. Make sure to stretch the string before you tighten it to avoid any unnecessary knots.
- Tune the Strings: – Hold the string tight against the guitar as you continue to turn the peg until you attain the desired pressure. Repeat this procedure with all the strings. Tune your guitar using a guitar tuner or manually. Finally, with a wire cutter, cut the excess string to leave only about 1/8 (approximately 1/2 an inch) of the stub. Don’t make stub too short otherwise the strings will slip off as you tune the guitar.
Which Are The Best Electric Guitar Strings For Beginners?
Below I’ve made the following recommendations of the best strings for you. Just have a look.
The Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Guitar Strings
Some important features include:
- Comes with 3 individual sets included in the pack
- Has good recipes and contains popular gauges
- These strings are played by popular legends and icons around the world
- The strings have element shield packaging which prolongs string life
- It’s made in California, U.S.A.
- Can be used anywhere in the world
- Used by both Pros and beginners.
- Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Thomastik Infeld Electric Guitar Strings
Features and Specifications
- These strings can be used by guitar newbies or beginners
- They fit the professional musical needs around the world
- This set gauge includes: .012, .016, .020, .028, .039, .053
- This is a genuine Thomastik Infeld Product
- It’s a recommendation for your electric guitar
- Rating: 4.5 out 5 Stars
The D’addario Electric Guitar Strings
Features and Specifications includes:
- Just buy 3 sets and save with this corrosion resistant 3-pack
- The D’addario Electric Guitar Strings are the best-selling in the market today
- Made with a round wound with nickel plated steel which gives a distinctive bright tone
- This string gauges include: Plain Steel .010, .013, .017, Nickel Wound .026, .036, .046
- It’s made in the U.S.A.
- These strings are designed for the highest quality performance
- Used by both beginners and professionals.
- Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars
The Fender Electric Guitar Strings
About This Product
- Original Bullets Pure Nickel
- The gauges include: .010/.013/.017/.026/.036/.046
- Designed to reduce Finger Noise during playing
- Used by beginners as well as Professionals
- Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
We have had an exciting time discussing about the best electric guitar strings for beginners. In this post also, we were able to discuss about the factors you should consider when purchasing your guitar strings and among those factors is the sound production, lifespan of the strings which is determined by the quality of the strings.
We have also discussed about how to change strings. In this section we’ve discussed when to change strings, how to do it and the tools you need to have in place for this task. I’ve given my recommendation of the best guitar strings that can be used both by beginners and professionals.
If you found this article helpful please feel free to share with your family and friends.
If you have any comment or questions, please leave them in the box provided below and I will come back to you soonest.